Too much Crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I just brewed my first BIAB last weekend, and I ended up adding too much of Crystal malt. This was the recipe:

8lb domestic 2-row
2lb vienna malt
.5lb Crystal 10L

First of all, since I'm a total noob, can someone explain what function these grains serve and how they work together/were chosen?

Anyway, because my LHBS has a 1-lb minimum on their website, I ordered 1lb of the Crystal malt. However, when I went to pick up my order they had mixed all the grains together, so my actual recipe is

8lb domestic 2-row
2lb vienna malt
1lb Crystal 10L

I just brewed anyway. What affect is this going to have on my beer? I don't know what crystal malt is or why it was chosen for the recipe in the first place.

Well it fermented from OG ~1.052 to 1.015 in 2.5 days. I tasted it and it tasted rather strange actually, still pretty cloudy and had a creamy/bready taste to it, but I suppose there is probably a lot of yeast in it still. I need to RDWHAHB better.

Back