Too much corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Damn... just realized (read on website) that the kit I bought came with 1 cup of corn sugar instead of what I thought was 3/4 cup. I mixed the whole amount with 1 pint of water and added it to my wort in my bottling bucket.

Is that going to be a problem??
Will I have bottle bombs?

Thanks for any advice

3/4 cup is usually the max recommended for a 5 gallon batch. Your beer will be nice and fizzy, but as long as you bottled at the appropriate time, your bottles should probably be safe.

I bottled after 2 weeks in the secondary... no airlock activity that I could see. Is there a way to stop the carbonation at a certain time?

You can chill the beer to serving temperature and keep it there in order to stop fermentation/carbonation. The yeast will go dormant and settle out. If, however, you let it warm up again, it will pick up right where it left off.

The hard part is trying to figure out when to make it stop. I'd just chalk this one up to experience and let it do what it's gonna do.

If you stop it before it fully conditions you'll have residual corn sugar left in your beer which will affect the flavor profile. I doubt seriously you would even notice the difference between 3/4c and 1c...it will have a pretty minor overall effect. If your beer is too fizzy, just pour a big head to release some CO2 and let it settle.

I go by weight and prime with 3.5-4oz of corn sugar when I bottle (most batches). I have used upwards of 8oz for a Hefeweizen and did not have a single bottle bomb, so I would say this is of little concern.

One thing I've read is that you can open and recap all the bottles partway into the conditioning to release some of the pressure. That might be an option if you're getting concerned and want to err on the side of caution.

I have used 1 1/2 cups of corn sugar at bottling time and never had a problem. Just make sure you don't bottle to soon.

Latest posts

Back