Too much coriander!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I recently kegged a wit that I've brewed several times before.

In a pinch(since I forgot to pick some up) I used crushed coriander from a local grocery store. It was in a powder but only .3 ozs.

Well that was a mistake. It's horrible.

In your experience, will it dissipate or not? Can this batch be saved?

That so are you saying the aroma is really horrible, or is there a perceived taste that you are getting.

Also, at what point did you add the powdered coriander?

I've just finished my first wit and am hoping the outcome does not turn out the same. Everywhere I have read and researched prior to brewing this current batch warns that the coriander can be a vicious beast that takes wks and sometimes months to mellow out.

Hopefully in your case letting it sit a wk or two will save it. Good luck!

I recently kegged a wit that I've brewed several times before.

In a pinch(since I forgot to pick some up) I used crushed coriander from a local grocery store. It was in a powder but only .3 ozs.

Well that was a mistake. It's horrible.

In your experience, will it dissipate or not? Can this batch be saved?

I made a mead once with ground cloves and coriander. I thought I was using enough for a mild flavor... But it was WAY too much. I let it sit for several years, and it never got much better. I can't drink anything with either of those two spices now. Just last night I was out for dinner and ordered a Sam Adams Coldspell, and the light coriander was too much for me because of it...

It's more flavor than aroma with this. I added it in the last 5 minutes of the boil. The flavor is just off. I'm thinking of adding lemonade in the glass for a wit shandy concoction. I'd hate to dump it but I'm going back to seeds in the future.

In a 5.5 gallon batch I use 7 gram each of Indian coriander (oval-ish seeds, slightly toasted, coarsely crushed) and Dried Bitter Orange Peel (milled finely) added at flameout. The spice is there, but not overwhelming. .3 oz (8.4 grams) is not all that much more.

I wonder why yours is so strong? Is it really coriander or perhaps something else you're tasting? Now finely ground it could give off more essence in shorter time. Grocery stores' spices vary largely in quality and potency, often toward old, stale, flavorless saw dust, and rarely fragrant.

I doubt it will dissipate enough, so maybe you can mask it. Some ladies really love lots of orange in their wit, fresh if possible.

yes it will disappear over time. like in wit beers. They need do be fresh ells all flavors will be gone

Yeah I agree with Island Lizard. I use a whole oz in all my wits and a half oz in many of my other Belgian Ales. The coriander has never taken over anything I've put it in. Its whole seeds that I roughly crush by hand though, not finely ground. Its hard to imagine that finely ground would make such a huge difference...

Also, I usually do flameout additions for spice so maybe the 5min of boiling combined with the huge contact surface area from the grind was enough to overdo it

I always used at least half an oz of coriander powder (from grocery store) and never got overpowered flavor/aroma in any of my brews..

I am assuming it being a wit, the beer is still relatively young. Particularly with finely ground stuff, it can take a LONG time for the spice to drop out fully. Since you aren't getting a big nose of coriander, I'll put money theres still a lot of the dusty spice particles floating around and hitting your tongue. Coriander is delicious, love it, but if someone put a little dab of ground coriander on my tongue, oh god its horrible.

Give it time, at the very least, your beer doesn't taste like soapy meat. Took almost 3 months for a blue moon I made to taste like a blue moon and I attribute it to bad/too much coriander since it tasted just fine after lots of aging.

Time seems to be healing this wounded brew. It's a solid beer that I brew often. Now I have a stock pile of seeds. No more dust ever again.

Back