too much brown sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
So I made a spiced cider (clove, cinnamon) awhile back. It's been bottled for roughly 6-7 weeks. It started off really nice but the flavor has changed and I'm getting a heavy molasses note to it that's a big turn off to both my wife and I? The fermentables in the batch were 1 cup dextrose and 2lb light brown sugar.

I'm thinking I should have used less brown and more dextrose, or something...

Has anyone had any problems with a heavy molasses flavor from using a lot of brown sugar?

I'm thinking I'm going to let it age in the bottle for another 3-4 months then come back to it. Hopefully that flavor will smooth out a bit.

I've never really had it. I used brown sugar for a batch and it came out tasting kind of 'earthy'. You're right with the aging though, it might mellow out a bit.

your apple wine is similar to what I made. 2lb brown, 1cup dextrose and s-05. I was thinking it's a funny combo between the sugar and the ale yeast. we'll see how it turns out in the long run...

Back