Too much boil off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaDana

Reaction score
In advance, sorry if this has already been answered, I can't seem to find exactly what I was looking for. I had just complete a SMaSH with Pilsner Malt and Soveirgn Hops and my post boil amount was MUCH lower than calculated.

I have done plenty of all grain batches and I typically hit my final voume either right on or very close. I was planning to make 6 gallons and came out with 4 gallons at 1.074 (target OG was 1.048).

I calculate my mash, sparge and pre /post boil amount and usually have a boil off rate of 1.2 gallons per hour.

I only did a 50 min boil and started with 7 gallons. Can this missing wort just be due to a more vigourous boil? It hasn't happened to me before, so I just want to be cautious. I only turned up the burner a tad bit.

Thanks!

Yeah a more vigorous boil can result in a higher boil-off rate. If you want you can dilute it but I'd just leave it and see how it turns out.

I boiled some water and added it the next morning. It was for a beer swap so wanted to make sure I had some after the trade.

Back