too many BTUs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
So I finished my brew rig and used BG14 Banjo Burners. I mounted them about 4 inches from my frame. I did a test burn without tanks with success. I started my first brew on it yesterday and in less than a minute my frame got red hot and started melting (literally drooping/sagging). Too close to the metal or just too hot for my metal?

11822669_10203436524352688_3340579312661682592_n.jpg

11855886_10203460124102667_181841792339491568_n.jpg

So I finished my brew rig and used BG14 Banjo Burners. I mounted them about 4 inches from my frame. I did a test burn without tanks with success. I started my first brew on it yesterday and in less than a minute my frame got red hot and started melting (literally drooping/sagging). Too close to the metal or just too hot for my metal?

yes on both counts.

yes on both counts.

That's my thought. Sadly I think I'm going to go down to a standard 4" might push it with a 6"....
I just don't get how I saw other rigs with the same metal and same burners... Only thing I can think of is their rigs were wider/ more room...

That's my thought. Sadly I think I'm going to go down to a standard 4" might push it with a 6"....
I just don't get how I saw other rigs with the same metal and same burners... Only thing I can think of is their rigs were wider/ more room...

only thing I can think of is that there is some shielding you can put in place.

Am I seeing a sheet of metal atop the frame surrounding the two kettles to the right - with no apparent exhaust path other than back under and around the frame?

If so, that ain't helping...

Cheers!

Am I seeing a sheet of metal atop the frame surrounding the two kettles to the right - with no apparent exhaust path other than back under and around the frame?

If so, that ain't helping...

Cheers!

That was for a windshield... wrong thinking?

I doubt that's providing any "wind shield" effect - wind shields go around the burner, not on top of it.

At the very least you need to provide an exhaust path that isn't wrapping around all that thin steel frame.
I'd say that piece of sheet metal is pretty much the opposite of a solution...

Cheers!

Day-trippr is right, I had the same issue. You need a way for the hot exhaust flame to escape. Easiest way is to cut a coulple of holes in the Keggle skirt. Once you do that the frame will much less heating.

I use a Blichmann burner. Look at the gap between the wind shield and the bottom of the pot, it is rather significant.

I would drop the whole shield and burner, you want the flame to wrap around the whole base with gasses exhausting around the side of the pot. You don't want to just heat the center of the pot.

bb.jpg

Back