Too little water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrilla

Reaction score
Just finished racking to primary a half hour ago and it looks like i have 4 1/2 gallons instead of 5...is this an issue or should i\could i add more water after pitching the yeast?

Thanks

Let it be. Quality over qaunity every time as long as you are pleased with your OG. If you add water if should not be directly out of the tap, it needs boiled first. I would leave it be, let it ferment and while it is doing this, go over your notes and find why you are short and try again

You can add more water if you want, that's basically what a partial boil is. I would only add it if you are above your target OG.

In your last thread you stated that you wanted a higher ABV. Well, here you go.

Granted your OG was higher than you were shooting for, of course.

+1 if your OG is significantly higher than it should be, feel free to top up. If it's about where it's expected, leave it alone.

Is this right after brewing? If so, dilute it. If not, leave it be.

If the 4.5 gallons is higher than your planned OG, then I would dilute it. This is assuming that you hopped for 5 gallons as well. The way I see it this will get you the recipe that you had planned.

Back