Too late to trim bull shoots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpghm

Reaction score
I only recently heard that bull shoots should be trimmed. Mine are already about 10ft (2nd year plants, centennial & willamette)

The leaves are pretty spaced out and I was hoping to get some shade from these hops, so should I trim the bull shoots and hope for more regular shots?

There aren't that many regular shoots from the crown yet, but some pretty long side shoots from the bulls already. Should I trim above these, and let the side shoots grow instead?

I am leaving mine for now. Will cut them at the base when they have climbed a ways farther. Been training the other branches to climb the bull shoots as well as the strings.

Low stress semi-management of mine. Not trying to beat any production records. Looking pretty good so far, too.

TeeJo

Because they are only 2nd year hops, and because you're not seeing a lot of shoots anyway, I would leave the bull shoots to grow this year (no topping the bines). They'll still produce hops just not as much or the quality of non-bulls. Just my opinion of course.

At 10' tall I (new grower) would let them go and let the roots develop. Next year just trim them when the weather outside goes nice for where you live so the second growing a will get it going good.

Back