Too late to repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
In a previous thread I mentioned that my strong ale seemed to have stopped fermenting at 1.024, but I racked to the secondary anyway (I know, mistake). It's been in the secondary now for a week and I'm thinking about checking the gravity again and seeing if it's changed. If not, can I pitch another packet of Notthingham yeast in the secondary now?

7.1% is a pretty good beer.

You may simply have fermented out.

What was:

Your mash temp?
Your grain bill?
Your original yeast?

I personally think you may be wasting a packet of yeast on a beer that is already fermented.

It was an extract recipe:

10.5 lb amber malt extract
1.5 lb Crystal 120L
1 pkg Notthingham Yeast

Target FG was 1.018 according to the instructions.

Nottingham is a very reliable yeast for fermenting out all of the fermentables.

I'd suggest your beer is finished. When you rack off that beer, you're going to have about a 1/2 quart of nottingham yeast slurry on the bottom of that fermenter...so additional yeast is not the issue.

Sometimes, extracts contain a higher portion of non fermentable sugars.

Take another reading today.
Take another reading next week.

A big beer like that will need several weeks in the secondary to mellow.

Well I just pitched another packet of yeast with some yeast food, so we'll see if anything happens. I also took another gravity reading and it's STILL at 1.024. Not really any activity yet, but we'll see.

It may be, but I want to be sure I'm not risking bottle bombs come bottling time. The beer is still a little sweet and I'm hoping it'll drop a little, but I have my doubts :(

BierMuncher said:
:confused:

So much for seeking advice... ;)

Better safe than sorry, at least now I'll know it's complete. Thanks for the advice, I think you're going to be correct because I still see no activity.

Well it's been 5 days since I repitched and I see a thin layer of krausen on the surface. The airlock bubbles every now and then too. Hopefully this will drop it another few points.

Back