Too late to add gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErieShores

Reaction score
I racked a blonde ale to a secondary glass carboy on Wednesday after a week in a primary. Is it too late to add gelatin? In case it matters...
OG 1.040 gravity at racking time 1.004.

Thanks smoking hole. I will probably have to let it sit until next weekend when I can bottle. Is a week or so too long? Sorry, I have never used gelatin but I do want to try to clear it.

I wouldn't bother unless you're going to chill it below serving temp before adding it. Otherwise, add away. I sometimes add it when I counterpressure bottle.

I wouldn't bother unless you're going to chill it below serving temp before adding it. Otherwise, add away. I sometimes add it when I counterpressure bottle.

So you are telling me that if I don't chill my carboy to 40-ish degrees before adding gelatin, it won't clear the beer?

So you are telling me that if I don't chill my carboy to 40-ish degrees before adding gelatin, it won't clear the beer?

I believe you will get some clearing without cold-crashing, and it will take relatively longer to work. I do know that gelatin combined with cold-crashing works great. I cold crash to 33-34 for two days, add gelatin, and rack around five days later with excellent results.

Back