too hot??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrain

Reaction score
ok it's my second attempt at homebrewing the first batch came out fine the second batch i used a different recipe the first time i cooled the batch down to 70 degrees before pitching the yeast the second time the instructions simply said to let it cool to almost room temp i waited hours and around midnight i pitched the yeast i really don't know what temp it was i'm guessing 90-100????? in the morning it had blown the lid off just on one side i cleaned it up and resealed it now i've learned that i may have killed the yeast any thoughts???? can i re pitch the yeast???? will a gravity reading tell me if it fermented???

If I'm reading this right, it sounds like you had a blow off. Did you have to clean up spilled wort/beer? If so I'd say it's fermenting pretty vigorously. If you feel so inclined, you can pitch some more yeast. I'd pitch something like Nottingham, just because it is a pretty clean yeast.

ya it sounds like your lid blew off because of healthy fermentation. In this case your yeast are doing what they do and there healthy. Iv pitched yeast at a high wort temp before and the beer turned out fine. Eventually the beer will cool down to room temp.

I cannot imagine that the instructions meant for you to just let the wort cool on its own. Whatever you did the first time to cool it to 70 degrees was the better process. It's not like recipes should be different in this regard.

yeah, regardless of the recipe, you want to cool the wort as quickly as possible. whether it be an immersion chiller or an ice-water bath in the sink or tub.

Back