Too hot/too high abv?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbabe30

Reaction score
So to start, I am making a 5 gallon batch of cider with 1 cup brown sugar added and using Fermentis SafCider yeast and it’s been fermenting at about 72 degrees. I tested it on Monday (2/10) and the abv was sitting at about 6.8% so I figured it test again today (Wednesday 2/12) and it’s gone up to 9% and it tastes every bit of 9%. Is that too high for a cider?

How are you measuring ABV?

Typically apple juice (must) comes in around 1.050 SG. So, with the 1-cup added sugar (which really is not a lot in a 5-gallon batch), the 6.8 % ABV sounds very plausible. The 9.0 % ABV does not seem possible given the sugars available to ferment.

Let's say the 1 cup of brown sugar weighs 8 oz (very tightly packed). The sugar will only yield 0.005 gravity points in a 5-gallon batch. Now you are up to 1.055 for SG. If that ferments to 1.000, then:

1.055 - 1.000 = 0.055

0.055 x 131.25 = 7.2 % ABV

For what it's worth, newly fermented cider rarely tastes its best. Cider will get better with aging, and I find its flavor changes a lot during the first month of aging.

Last edited:
How are you measuring ABV?

Typically apple juice (must) comes in around 1.050 SG. So, with the 1-cup added sugar (which really is not a lot in a 5-gallon batch), the 6.8 % ABV sounds very plausible. The 9.0 % ABV does not seem possible given the sugars available to ferment.

Let's say the 1 cup of brown sugar weighs 8 oz (very tightly packed). The sugar will only yield 0.005 gravity points in a 5-gallon batch. Now you are up to 1.055 for SG. If that ferments to 1.000, then:

1.055 - 1.000 = 0.055

0.055 x 131.25 = 7.2 % ABV

For what it's worth, newly fermented cider rarely tastes its best. Cider will get better with aging, and I find its flavor changes a lot during the first month of aging.

OG was 1.067
FG is .999

I stand corrected, your apple juice must have been higher sugar content than typical. What did you use for the must? Was it fresh pressed?

I used unflitered, but pasteurized, 100% pressed apple juice from central market (think like Whole Foods)

General rule is if you add sugar and go 10% or above you have apple wine. Bmd2k1 gets away with calling it cider at 14% because it's pure apple juice, concentrate, but apple juice nonetheless.

Too hot is a matter of pref...I hit 13-14% like clockwork. You can dilute, backsweeten as well. Find Pearson Square to change your value. .0990 is pretty much done. Might go to .0989. Cork also gives off a flavor if using real cork and about a month to settle.
Another thing you can do is add KSorbate to inhibit re ferment and cut with apple juice.

Hi guys
Was just reading through there and have similar issue
my fault added some sugar thinking it would be ok

ABV is averaging 8 or 9 %
1.065 SG

was thinking on diluting at some point to drop slightly

was wondering what would be the best to dilute with without decreasing flavour
thanks in advance 😀
(Strawberry cider)
(1 gallon Demi John)

Cheers mate just gonna leave it the way it is for now thanks for the reply bud .happy days !!!!

Back