TOO Hoppy!? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edellopez

Reaction score
Hey peeps, I brewed a SMaSH Pale Ale 5 gallon recipe. It was 9 pounds of Pale-2 row, and 3 oz of Cascade (1.5 at 60, 1.5 at 15.) I hit my mash temp and everything. Going for that low abv table beer. The Wort I just racked is greenish due to hops. After letting the hydrometer sample settle, I sampled the wort and it was bitter; I am an ex-hop head and this was not a good kind of bitter.

HELP? Is this to hoppy? Unbalanced? Can I fix this? How? So much hard work, long hours, for this :(

Man, let it ferment out and condition. If it's still too much, let it age. You seem to be a bit worked up over it. RDWHAHB is definitely something to consider.

RDWHAHB what is this? haha ;) thank. perhaps I am a little to worked up over it.

RDWHAHB what is this? haha ;) thank. perhaps I am a little to worked up over it.

Relax don't worry have a homebrew. Ya, it's kind of your job to worry about your first batch.. Happens to the best of 'em. You can never judge an un finished beer. And time will help with some things too. Age does not do hops well. Bitterness will fade over time while the malt comes forward, so even if it's too much, time will fix it.

I had a nut brown that was terrible, but with some added time it turned out pretty decent.

Good luck.

Wort is always way more bitter than the finished product. I recall having a similar freakout though.

It'll be fine. Hydro samples can taste like complete ass, but barring certain specific indicators, it says very little about how the final product will taste.

As the others said, everything will probably be terrific. Maintain temperature control in the fermenter and in yourself. Did you put the hops in a bag before throwing in the kettle? Helps cut down on the green stuff in the fermenter. :)

The first time I made a Pliny clone, a little taste of the unfermented wort made me choke. The final product is much different. Alls well.

Back