Too early to rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurnipGreen

Reaction score
I have a Kolsch that has been fermenting away for 8 days around 62 degrees. I used safale K-97. I haven't taken a second gravity reading but it still has a krausen and is still fermenting.

I need the yeast from this batch for an alt I was going to brew today. When saved yeast like this before fermentation has always been further along.

Anyone want to convince me it's a bad idea before I hit my strike water temps for the alt?

I wouldn't do it myself. But if you need the yeast. Rock N Roll. any reason you don't just start a siphon and suck out a pint of yeast off the bottom?

Cheers
Jay

I wouldn't do it myself. But if you need the yeast. Rock N Roll. any reason you don't just start a siphon and suck out a pint of yeast off the bottom?

Cheers
Jay

Never thought about just pulling out the yeast. I guess that's pretty much what folks with conicals do?

I have a Kolsch that has been fermenting away for 8 days around 62 degrees. I used safale K-97. I haven't taken a second gravity reading but it still has a krausen and is still fermenting.

I need the yeast from this batch for an alt I was going to brew today. When saved yeast like this before fermentation has always been further along.

Anyone want to convince me it's a bad idea before I hit my strike water temps for the alt?

Where did you get the K-97???

Where did you get the K-97???

The K-97 came from my LHBS, asheville brewers supply. They have have an online store, but it doesn't list k-97. I bet if you called and they have it they would ship it to you. The Kolsch is my first try on it, any with it experience?

Well, this was definitely as crazy attempt at a brew day. The power went out right as my wort hit 200 degrees. So, there my wort sat sat on the kitchen stove until I got home from work. Plus i got 5% more efficiency than I was expecting.

So it'll be a double sticke alt for sure, first surprise is it may or may not be a bit sour. Then I'll be surprised if I drink one on an empty stomach.

Why did you use K-97 instead of a Kölsch yeast??

Why did you use K-97 instead of a Kölsch yeast??

It is listed as an alt yeast. I used White Labs 029 last time and it was really good for the Kolsch and the alt for that matter. I figured I'd try something different. Plus it is supposed to have better attenuation and I wanted to see if that would make much of a difference.

Back