Too dark beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
this was my recipe, should come out yellow but at the time I passed it into fermenter it was like brown reddish like amber or something...not close to yellow....why is that?

3 kgs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
2 kgs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertau Mittelfrüh [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (10 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertau Mittelfrüh [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 (66) degrees for 70 minutes. Sparge 10min to get boil volume.
Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 73 degrees.
Add yeast, and ferment at 73 for 14 days. crash cool until clear

Beer always looks darker in the fermenter. When you're siphoning beer into it or out of it you'll get a good look at the actual colour.
Edit: I'm wondering if you meant when you siphoned it in you saw it was darker than it should be...

2 kgs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
Boil for 60 minutes

Recipes that include Pilsner malt should always be boiled for at least 90 minutes. 60 is not enough. Pilsner malt is more prone to DMS precursors, so it requires a longer boil to eliminate it.

:DHere is a pick of BM's Cream of Three crops cream ale still in the fermentor. This is a straw colored beer when in the glass.

IMG_0772[1].jpg
Sorry, couldn't be bothered to rotate

Wait into you pull out a refractometer sample. You may be surprised how the color will differ in a thinner vessel.

It was dark in the stockpot, it was about lighter when I took a gravity sample and it was dark in the fermenter...by dark I mean its darker than 4.8srm which should be....and the recipe called to boil 60minutes, not 90.

And when I took first running from the mlt the wort was like really dark and the second was lighter

The recipe is flawed.

Recipes containing Pilsener malt should ALWAYS be boiled for at least 90 minutes, rather than the normal 60. No matter what the recipe says.

Kombat is correct. The reasoning behind this is based on the half-life of DMS precursor. To be honest, 90 minutes is still a little short, but it's a nice round number and is generally accepted. If you do the math though 105-120 minutes is more like it, depending on your PH. In practice 90 minutes gets you most of the way there, and has proven to be effective. Some people are extremely sensitive to DMS flavor and can taste it at very low levels, and some people are the opposite. Here is a paper on DMS testing if you are interested:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1979.tb03914.x/abstract

Back