Too Cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG27

Reaction score
I brewed a marzen last Wednesday. Just a 2 gallon batch. I used 2 packets of saflager 34/70 (seemed like a lot to me but brewers friend's yeast calculator suggested it).

I used my refrigerator to ferment. The temperature inside the refrigerator is about 40. I know this is a bit low, but I accounted for heating inside the fermentor (5-10 degrees). I've done a handful of lagers with this yeast strain and fermented in air temps of about 50ish which gave off a bit of a green apple taste. These fermentations produced a fairly large Krausen and active bubbling. This fermentation has been sluggish and the high Krausen was less than a half inch. Did I ferment too low? I'm now at 9 days after brewing and I haven't taken a gravity reading yet. It just seems too underwhelming.

Thoughts?

I think you know the answer already. 40 is too low. The manufacture recommends 53-59. Take a gravity reading. If you are way too high, you'll need to rouse the yeast and raise the temp.

It's at 42 right now. I figured I'd be on the low end of what's acceptable after taking into account the inside temperature. I will raise it.

The 5-10 degrees is when the yeast is full force chugging along. It may never get there if it starts off too low. It may also stop short if it's too cold

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My OG was 1.054, FG is 1.015. Took a hydrometer reading yesterday and it was 1.030 after about 8-9 days. I bumped the temp up to about 46 and gave the fermentor a shake. A decent Krausen has reformed and it appears fermentation has restarted. It actually didn't taste all that bad yesterday when I took a swig.

Back