too cold to lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwjester

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a schwartzbier tomorrow and I am going to need to be able to keep the temp pretty steady. I have a lagering refrigerator with a controller in the garage, but the temperature in Colorado lately has been on the cold side. Go figure. I did an Oktoberfest earlier in the year that came out alright, but that was when the weather was a bit warmer outside.

So here it is. Too warm in the basement (~60F). To cold in the garage (~40F). I'm shooting for 48F-50F for the primary fermentation and dropping to 36F or so for lagering. I have thought about putting a 60W lamp in the fridge and letting it warm the fridge up. The fridge would have to come on to cool it down to the 50F I am looking for. Will the light skunk the hops? Will I be able to control the temperature as fine as I'd like? Anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Hmm... I would consider buying one of those fridge temp controllers. It's been on my mind for a while now. I'm nearly getting enough nerve to try a lager. If I can only convince my wife that we dont' need the upright freezer for a few months...

To take car of the light issue, simply cover the carboy with something; a blanket, towels, anything. A zip up hoodie works wonderfully. If you have any sewing ability, Walmart always has $1/yard material in stock.

Back