Too cold pitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
Hello All,
So i recently brewed an extract from NB (kama citra). The process went great. Until, my thermometer decided to take a **** just as i was cooling the wort. It was to late to go anywhere for a new one, so i decided to cool it for a while and guess at the temperature. I had it in an ice bath (havent had time to get myself an immersion chiller yet). for probably 20/30 minutes. When the brew kettle did not feel warm anymore, i poured it into the primary with more water, and aerated it. i took a hydrometer reading and it was spot on. Well, the wort in the tube when i tested it, felt cool to touch when i dumped it out. After i took the reading i pitched the dry ale yeast that was provided in the kit. Well 48 hours later i have zero activity in the airlock. I know that is not the only way to tell, but i do have some concerns. Was the wort too cold and kill the yeast? will it just take longer to start up? will i have to repitch the yeast, or could i just add some yeast nutrient and/or yeast energizer to get it going? If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
The_Dutch

The yeast will be just fine even if the wort was at a temperature below the yeasts ideal fermentation range. High heat kills yeast not cold temperatures. May be having a longer start up time due to the wort being cool when the yeast was pitched or pitching the yeast without rehydrating.

I just ran into a similar problem where I froze my wort into a slush after pitching. The folks on here assured me all would be well after letting it come back up to temp. Sure enough I had a good krausen a day or two later. You should be good to go I would think.

I assume you are using a bucket. You can push slightly on the lid. If it doesn't take much to make the airlock bubble, you probably have fermentation. The alternative is to take out the airlock and take a peek looking for krausen.

Cold won't kill your yeast. Once things warm up it will start.

Think about it. Where do we store our yeast? In the fridge, right? Guess what? It does not kill the yeast.

You are good.

Back