Tone of this Board and Others

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After reading the thread here about the other board's drama (I'm unfamiliar with that board), it made me think about another board I do frequent - beeradvocate.com

For the last couple of months, I've been much less active there, checking in occassionally, but seldom moving past the homepage. Everyone's different, but for the me, the tone was too aggressive and there some folks who were just too superior in their attitudes. I found myself having to make the decision to ignore posts or not, and then found this place.

People here are fun, sometimes crude, but almost never mean-spirited. Really, its a great joy to be able to spend time here. Thanks :mug:

Jim

I agree every one here is awesome except the spitting Llama :D

BA is snobbery in its highest form. In fact it is a competition for the most beer snobbery. This place is not about exclusion but about inclusion. That's the big difference.

Prosit :mug:

Glad you like it here. I have to agree and say it's the most respectful bunch of members I've been part of a forum with. I believe everyone here is intelligent for the most part and has a general mind for science that lets us post based on fact and not emotion. That keeps a lot of the nonsense at bay. But as your Premium-ness knows, there's other benefits that keep us in check in fear of being booted and missing out.

After reading the thread here about the other board's drama (I'm unfamiliar with that board), it made me think about another board I do frequent - beeradvocate.com

For the last couple of months, I've been much less active there, checking in occassionally, but seldom moving past the homepage. Everyone's different, but for the me, the tone was too aggressive and there some folks who were just too superior in their attitudes. I found myself having to make the decision to ignore posts or not, and then found this place.

People here are fun, sometimes crude, but almost never mean-spirited. Really, its a great joy to be able to spend time here. Thanks :mug:

Jim

That's the same attitude I got from yet another brewing board, which is why I came here 3 years ago.

I agree with Martin Luther aka Pappers, it is a great place and by far the nicest forum I've ever been a member.

Although sometime I am mean spirited. Can't really help it because I was born with the ***** gene that rears its ugly head sometimes but I do try to keep it down as much as possible. :eek: OTOH, I don't like shopping. don't ***** or nag my hubby, and I make beer so I can't be that bad.

Jim

Thanks for the kind words.

I contribute the success of this board to the fact that we drink. You know how some are mellow drunks, some are mean drunks, some are obnoxious drunks, etc? We're what my dad calls "good drunks".

Seriously, some have not liked the moderation (calling it censorship) of the board, but we try hard to have a welcoming and non-threatening environment. People can feel free to post their questions without fear of flaming or snide remarks. I think we all genuinely like each other, and that shows!

I agree, this is a very nice community. Admin and Mods here do a really good job. :mug:

You know what? If you can endure us in a religious thread in the debate forum I salute you! I know we can get a bit testy over there, but I found your debate style to be informative and considerate...even if you are wrong :D. Seriously, good to have you on here...spread the word and bring more brewers like yourself. Cheers and happy friday all! :mug:

I think this place is great. That said tho', I'd rather lurk BeerAdvocate (and I do) than RateBeer.

As bad as the BA boards are now, it used to be a LOT worse. I will say that I did notice a lot more sparks flying once BA opened it's doors to RB's.

I hang out on the BeerAdvocate forums a little bit (Lawnboy33). There seems to be a lot of snobbery and *****ebaggery in the beer forums but the Homebrewing forum isn't as bad. I tend to just help answer noobs' simple questions and offer suggestions and stay out of the drama.

I used to hang out at BA about 5 or 6 years ago when I first started brewing. Seemed like the biggest attitude problems were the head honchos themselves. :rolleyes: **** 'em.

This forum is great and naturally low in *****ebags. :D

I've never gotten past the beer reviews at BA. I usually disregard the rating they give, since they are mostly biased toward anything fancy, foreign or just plain impossible to come by.

This place is great.

I gotta agree. A LOT of the posters I've seen on BA are more snobby than anything else.

Of course, when your whole site panders to critics, you're gonna get those type of over-inflated *****ebags mixed in with the nice people.

I frequent here for the same reason... fun and easy going. Yes, creepy and crude sometimes, but my kind of crude and creepy.

I gotta agree. A LOT of the posters I've seen on BA are more snobby than anything else.

Of course, when your whole site panders to critics, you're gonna get those type of over-inflated *****ebags mixed in with the nice people.

+1. If they knew half as much as they think they do, they would be brewing instead of bitching.

And I loves me some HBT!

Back