Toecutter Brewery House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
nottingham
Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10-14@62-65 DG
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
very smoothe, very light bitterness, fantastic when dry hopped
This is my new Haus Pale Ale. this is a variation of EdWorts HPA, so I give him credit, but I tweaked it a bit and came up with this . Very smooth, light bitterness lots of flavor fantastic aroma when dry hopped, great head retention. biggest problem i have with this is it's hard to stop drinking it. i have a glass right now about 45 minutes old with 1/4 inch of head still on top. i took a keg to a recent party which had 21 days total time from kettle to tap, and it was a roaring success and went fast.

Grain Bill
14 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
6 lbs. Vienna Malt
1.0 lb. Crystal 20L Malt
1.0 lb Aromatic malt
1.0 lb White Wheat Malt (for head retention )

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 150 degrees.
I mash in a 13 gallon rectangular ice chest with a copper manifold, then fly sparge with a copper manifold on top with tiny holes drilled in, this allows the sparge water to trickle in gravity fed.

Dough-in with 8 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, recirculate until you wort runs clear, then start your sparge with 8 gallons of 175 dg water and begin vorlauf. I use a Chugger March pump, and set my valves to match flow rate to the kettle so I keep about 1 inch of sparge water over the top of the grain bed You should then get 13 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Boil & Hops
2.0 oz Cascade 5.5% at 60 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade 5.5% at 30 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade 5.5% at 10 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

With Nottingham, this ferments vigoriously for 3-4 days. after 10-14 days, crash cool to 38 dg. You can now add your dry hops. i do this by boiling a cheap nylon stocking, weighting it with marbles, and adding 2 oz hops of your choice. I have used cascade, centennial, and i just added columbus today, to the batch I have crash cooling. after 5-7 days, keg and carb. enjoy. :mug:

bee cave beer.jpg

Back