toasting wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm in the process of toasting malted wheat for my next brew. The plan is to toast a pound of wheat at low heat to a nice golden brown, and use it along with 4 pounds of two row. It smells wonderful! Like baking bread. I'm curious as to what effect this will have on flavor. Anybody else do this?

I assume that this will kill the enzymes in the wheat, so it's my intent to supplement the mash with a small amount of amylase.

I'm after flavor, and don't relish the cloudy character of wheat beers, so my intent is to do a protein rest. 20% of the grist is pretty conservative, so I assume that the enzymes needed for the protein rest will be present in sufficient quantity to do the job. Presumably they will be destroyed in the toasting process.

H.W.

If 80% of your mash is regular 2-row you probably don't need to bother with the amylase, it should convert just fine.

I would hesitate to do a protein rest. My experience has been that doing one with fully-modified malt creates an unpleasantly thin and headless beer. My experience is pretty limited though, someone who knows better should feel free to correct me.

I hit 80% efficiency with a 30 minute mash using my toasted wheat. I went ahead and tossed in a small amount of amylase because of the short mash. I have a pound of the stuff, and occasionally use it when using questionable ingredients.
I forgot to add my second hops addition, and tossed them in when pitching.... so my IBUs will be down around 30 instead of the low 40's where I was shooting... oh well! It isn't the first time I've screwed up. The toasty flavor is not very distinctive at this point. I may increase the amount of toasted wheat next go around.

H.W.

Back