Toasting/Roasting Grains Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyhammastix

Reaction score
I have recipe from a homebrew member for a "samhain pumpkin ale". The recipe calls for toasting marris otter base malt for 30 minutes at 350f. I have a great interest in roasting my own malt, however I just heard you are supposed to store the malt in a paper bag for two weeks prior to using them (supposed to settle harsh aroma). Since I have two days, I was wondering if using Amber malt would suffice? I read an article from barleypopmaker.Info suggesting the 30 minutes at 350f creates Amber malt.

Any experienced members have any personal insight or knowledge to help me out? I am brewing on Sunday so trying to determine the best substitute for the toasted malt, or if I can toast them myself without letting them sit for two weeks.

I would just toast it until the malt smelled good and then brew. As long as you don't over roast it you should be fine.

Back