Toasting oatmeal for a toast stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
search results inlcuded.

I found this one in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25345 , post #4.

runhard said:
Oats are high in lipids and therefore add that "creaminess" that everyone talks about when referring to oatmeal stouts. I actually like to take instant oats or the 1-minute variety and toast them in the oven for 7-10 minutes on an un-unglazed floor tile. You'll know the oats are sufficiently toasted when you begin to smell that grandma's cookie smell. If you choose to toast the oats let them sit for at least a day before use as they're a little on the harsh side. There's a great article is the past BYO magazine concerning oats. It might be worth a quick read for some more tips.

No good news in this one:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12301

So there you have the (not google) search results to date on "oatmeal toast."

Mosher, in Radical Brewing (c. 2004, brewer's publications, Boulder, CO), suggests toasting oats for a stout, and then letting them rest for two weeks before brewing.

I haven't found time/temp advice from anyone who toasts on days other than brew day. So I just ran some experiments.

First I toasted some Quaker oatmeal in the oven at 350°F. Thin layer on the baking sheet, 17 minutes at 350° had me deep into the Malliard reactions with the cookie smell and visible browning of the color. This morning I made oatmeal for breakfast out of those, and that oatmeal sucked. Ashy and burnt.

Now I have to be careful here, because this is new to me. I do make bread pudding using hop tea instead of fruit juice. I used to do it to learn about hops (didn't work), now I do it becuase I like it. So it may be dangerous to assume the stout would be bad if the breakfast cereal sucked.

But I have these other test toasts. Tommorrow I am going to have one that was just ever so lightly toasted, nine days ago. I toasted it in a skillet and pulled it off the heat as soon as the Malliards started.

Am I making fresh footprints in the snow here?

Well, I got up real early and messed up. Tuesday I had oatmeal from ots that never had been toasted and Wednesday I had oatsmeal from oats that were toasted in a dry skillet to detectable beginning of Malliard's + 60 seconds.

Plain oatmeal is now quite bland, I reckon I just signed up to toast all the rest of my oats lifetime. So I am going to make my first oat stout with untoasted oats and go from there.

I have a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout recipe and it says to toast the oats for 75min at 350, and just turn/mix them every 15 min.

I'v brewed this recipe twice now and has turned out fantastic, but i have always tasted with that method.

I toasted a pound of quick oats for my brown ale recipe that is sitting in secondary right now. I toasted them on brew day and mashed along with the other grains. The last sample I tested when I transferred tasted great.

Back