Toasting 2-Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
I'm going to try an Irish Red for my next batch and just started working out the recipe. I have some 2-row that I could toast, but it's already milled. Is that okay? The directions say to toast WHOLE 2-row. Anybody try this? I don't want it to catch fire, particularly. ;)

Are you roasting or toasting??

Either way, I think it'd be better if the grain were whole. I like to think that the starches are better protected by the hull when whole.

My .02

According to the recipe, I'm not really going to be doing much, if any, starch conversion. The toasted 2-row is just steeped for 30 minutes with the crystal malt for flavor. All the same, I wish the grain was whole, too.

monk

The directions in Papazian's book call for spreading the grain on a cookie sheet and putting it in the oven for 10 minutes at 350F. You're supposed to remove it when the grain begins to turn a reddish hue.

monk

Latest posts

Back