Toasted Pecan Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bafinaire

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am one week away from cracking the finished results of my first batch of beer from an extract kit. For the month or so since I started that process I have been researching brewing extensively and want to make an attempt at a BAIB recipe.

Here is what I was thinking based on what I complied in BrewTarget. I know its slightly off from the targets for a Robust Porter but I think it might be close enough. I'm hoping to have this batch completely ready for having family over on Thanksgiving.

So I am looking for feedback. One of the bigger things I got stuck on was the sugar. Originally wanted to do about 38oz of quality maple syrup but didn't want to spend that much (brewing on a budget), then to idea of 2 lb dark brown sugar (about the same grams of sugar as the maple syrup) but kept reading its flavor wouldn't last to the end so ended up with the combination I have below.

Toasted Pecan Porter
90 Minute Boil
Target Batch 3 Gal

Grains
5.4 lb Maris Otter
9.6 oz Crystal Malt 40L
4.8 oz Briess Caramel Malt 120L
4.8 oz Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt

Hops
.5 oz Glacier 60 mins
.5 oz Glacier 15 mins

Additions
10 oz Slow toasted pecans 25 mins
9.6 oz Brun Leger Soft Belgian Candi Sugar 10 mins
4.8 oz black strap molasses 10 mins

Yeast
Nottingham dry

2 week ferment 60 degrees, 2 week bottle conditioning

Last edited:
I plan on having this BIAB l, converted to a 3 gallon batch this coming weekend. I’ll be reporting in on the results. I excited on my first solo recipe

Thanks Tribe!

Finally brewed this last night. I’ll post results in a month or so when I sip my first bottle

Back