Toasted Oats and the Water-to-Grain Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philm63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does toasting flaked oats have an appreciable effect on how much water gets sucked up by the oats? Seems to me toasting them would reduce their water content thus when added to the mash, they’d suck up more water than untoasted flaked oats. When used as 15% of a grain bill, is there enough of an effect to be concerned about regarding the water-to-grain ratio?

Never done it, but don’t think it would really affect calculations to any great extent.

Really, how much is the moisture content to begin with? Other flaked adjuncts (maize, rice, wheat, barley) are typically about 9%, so if you reduced that a bit, it would be a bit of not much.

I just did the toasting this morning and I saw a total loss of 1 oz per pound of flaked oats. I started with 2 Lbs and ended with 1 Lb 14 oz. I'm sure I could do the rest of the math necessary to figure out the percentage of moisture lost but as you say, it's a bit of not much so worry about it I shall not.

I just did the toasting this morning and I saw a total loss of 1 oz per pound of flaked oats. I started with 2 Lbs and ended with 1 Lb 14 oz. I'm sure I could do the rest of the math necessary to figure out the percentage of moisture lost but as you say, it's a bit of not much so worry about it I shall not.
What ist the taste impact of using toasted oats?

i mash 20#'s in 7 gallons of water, i mash 24#'s in 7 gallons of water, i mash 19#'s in 7 gallons of water....it works in every case....;)

What is the taste impact of using toasted oats?

Honestly I've never done a side by side so I cannot say, but for me, it's sort of like doing a decoction for my hefes - perhaps it's more of a process thing than a proven flavor thing although I'm sure it's debatable. When you think about it, it's likely that any flavor benefit from toasting the oats will be buried in the roasted malts - it's an oatmeal stout, after all. I also toast the oats because I use Quaker brand oats, and the name of this brew is Toasted Quaker Oatmeal Stout. Fitting, me thinks.

Honestly I've never done a side by side so I cannot say, but for me, it's sort of like doing a decoction for my hefes - perhaps it's more of a process thing than a proven flavor thing although I'm sure it's debatable. When you think about it, it's likely that any flavor benefit from toasting the oats will be buried in the roasted malts - it's an oatmeal stout, after all. I also toast the oats because I use Quaker brand oats, and the name of this brew is Toasted Quaker Oatmeal Stout. Fitting, me thinks.
I missed that we are talking about a stout. I frequently use oats in my pale beers, I might just try toasting them to see what happens to the taste.

Back