Toasted Oats and Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi,
I made McQuakers Oatmeal Stout from BCS today. I toasted the oats at 300 for about 20 minutes. I came up a few points shy on my OG and I was wondering if it was because I toasted the oats. My theory, and I am probably wrong, is that at 300 F. I denatured any enzymes present and the starches were not able to convert. What do you guys think?:confused:Al

I don't think the flaked oats convert themselves.
I believe it's the enzymes in the malt.
Or where you using malted oats? Is there such a thing?

Oatmeal is non-diastatic. All your enzymes are coming from your base malt(s). I brewed a partial mash toasted oatmeal stout last weekend myself, and I also came up a little short on my OG. I chalk it up to not using rice hulls and the oats getting gummy in the mash (mashed 1 lb oats with 3lbs base and 1 lb dark malts).

I think many of the brewing calculators are horribly optimistic in their extract potential of adjuncts. I wouldn't sweat a few points. Just make a note to bump up the base malt a bit next brew to compensate.

Oh, and toasted oats are awesome in a stout.

Back