Toasted Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I found a good recipe for an oatmeal stout. I was thinking about putting 5lbs of honey in it as well. Anyone ever tried? If I do add the honey what would I need to adjust in the recipe. Would I have to pitch extra yeast? Still a newbie.
Here is the recipe:

1/2 lb flaked oats
3 oz flaked barley
1/2 lb crystal malt
1/2 lb chocolate malt
6 lb Light DME
2 oz kent golding leaf hops
1 tsp irish moss
white labs Irish Ale Yeast WLP004

Roast oats and barley at 325 for 75 min.
Add all grains to 1 gal @150 for 20 min
sparge grains with 1/2 gal 150 degree H2O
Add DME and (honey?)
Add all hops for 50 min
irish moss 10 min
at 80 degrees pitch yeast

My brewstore was mysteriously closed today.....gave me time to think about the honey........Thanks for the feedback.

Shane

Honey in a stout is a very expensive way to increase ABV and not much more. If you are looking for some honey flavor, add 4 oz. of honey malt.

So I just got done brewing my Oatmeal Stout. The only thing I did different was I added 4oz of lactose to the boil. I took the OG after the wort had cooled to 70 degrees and I topped off the primary with enough water to fill to 5.5gallons.The OG was 1.022. This seems low for an OG? The brew also tastes a little weak. I ended up with about 5.5 gallons. Does the recipe seem right. The grain sparging was a first but I followed the directions. This is supposed to be a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There's no way it's that low if you had 6lbs of DME. Definitely check you hydrometer. Float it in pure water and make sure it hits 1.00 or at least really close to that.

I will check my hydrometer when I get home tonight. I think the problem stems from me not mixing the wort and fresh water after the boil. I didn't shake the fermenter bucket before I took the OG. I just pour the cooled wort into the rest of my 5 gallons of water and took the reading from the top of the fermenter bucket. I guess I will have to wait and see......thanks for the feedback. Rookie mistake.

Back