To use teflon tape or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeguy

Reaction score
I was reading my boilermaker directions and I notice that he specifically says not to put tape on any of the stainless thread connections. I've always used tape but realize I don't really know why. I have a distant memory of some potential issue with stainless bonding to itself under certain conditions (heat, acid??) but don't know where I came up with this idea. Do you guys tape you connections?

The reason to use to tape is to make it easier to tighten the connections. The threads do the sealing, not the tape. I don't know why they would say not to put tape on the threads. I put tape on all liquid/gas NPT threads, except for compressions fittings, of course.

I dont know a lot about the boilermaker fittings as my system is all welded. However I believe that the threads for the weldless fittings used are straight thread and the water(wort) tight seal is provided by the O-ring. No need to use teflon on straight thread. Tapered fittings will gall if no teflon is used.

Use it if your talking connecting a fitting to the ball valve. It's not necessary for the thermometer or ball valve to be connected to the kettle.

_

Use it if your talking connecting a fitting to the ball valve. It's not necessary for the thermometer or ball valve to be connected to the kettle. _

Not necessary because as Dakotaprerunner said it doesn't help seal up any gaps? What about the tape keeping the threads from getting stuck to each other? Myth?

From Wikipedia

"Thread tape is appropriate for use on tapered threads, where it is the thread itself that provides the seal surface. It is not required on parallel threads(straight thread); parallel threads will not seal effectively themselves, even with tape. The sealing force on a tapered thread comes about from wedge action, that of a parallel thread is merely the axial force from the nut and is inadequate for a good seal. For this reason parallel threads are only used to mechanically clamp some other form of seal (e.g. a metallic pipe olive, or a flat face with a conformable washer against it). These seals do not require additional tape, and applying tape to their threads has no purpose."

Not necessary because as Dakotaprerunner said it doesn't help seal up any gaps? What about the tape keeping the threads from getting stuck to each other? Myth?

Not necessary, because of how blichmann does their o-ring setup. The threads will not get "stuck" together. I've taken off and even moved the location of my thermometer, they seal very well as designed.

I use it on the ball valve to qd threads, and on all my pump connections.

Stainless on stainless threads will gaul (correct spelling?) themselves when over tightened. Short answer-if you like to wrench it down then use tape, when used properly it should not be a problem-in theory, I've never not used tape-cheap insurance!

Back