To Trub or Not to Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
I usually strain my trub, but ran into this article which is pushing me toward doing some experimenting myself...

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Basically, this guy made a 10 gallon batch of Blonde Ale. He split the batch. Everything was the same except he left a somewhat excessive amount of trub in one of the carboys. The trub filled carboy ended up the clearer beer. Out of 6 blind tasters, they were split 50/50 on which they preferred.

Seriously. Try the "search function" in this forum...

giphy.gif

Don't sweat that, it's a good question. I follow the brulosophers method to a T. I transfer all the trub into the fermentor, after fermentation is complete, cold crash and fine with gelatin. Carefully rack the beer off the trub cake when it's time to package. My beer has never been clearer and tastes great! Try it out yourself.

Don't sweat that, it's a good question. I follow the brulosophers method to a T. I transfer all the trub into the fermentor, after fermentation is complete, cold crash and fine with gelatin. Carefully rack the beer off the trub cake when it's time to package. My beer has never been clearer and tastes great! Try it out yourself.

Thanks bendog...

I just brewed an Amarillo/Simcoe pale this past weekend and went ahead and poured the entire cooled kettle into the primary. :mug:

I find those articles very interesting, although the results not very conclusive. I guess I fall in the 50% that doesn't let trub into my fermentors, mainly because doing so would plug up my counter-flow wort chiller. Ask 10 brewers how to do something and you'll get 100 different answers.

the search function on this site is worthless.......easier to just google it and look for the results that have something to do with home brew talk......seriously, they could fix it a bit

True story, thats exactly what I do is type it in google and put homebrewtalk after what I need.

the search function on this site is worthless.......easier to just google it and look for the results that have something to do with home brew talk......seriously, they could fix it a bit

If you want a very good search technique for this site, try this in the Google search bar:

site:homebrewtalk.com xxx yyy zzz

where the x, y, and z are the search terms you want to use. You can, in Google, use the advanced search to limit the time period (last day, week, month, year, and so on), use the + and - to include or exclude terms--all the usual stuff.

And the search is done only on this site. When I'm looking for something I'll usually limit it to within the last year so i don't get something from 2007 whose advice or information may be out of date.

Latest posts

Back