To Stir Or Not To Stir...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPublius

Reaction score
I know this is probably a question for the cider room...but I'm a newbie, and there are far more people in here it seems. I currently have a few 1 gallon jugs of cider I just started. I should know this, but should I stir them everyday, or just let them sit? I thought I read somewhere that they should be stirred once or twice a day...I just want to make sure if I stir it that it won't mess with it fermenting. Is one way preferable to the other....stirring or not stirring?

Do not stir them. The yeast stir it themselves. Stirring adds oxygen and can affect the flavor negatively.

Do not stir them. The yeast stir it themselves. Stirring adds oxygen and can affect the flavor negatively.

+100. If you stir after fermentation begins, you'll oxidize the cider (something to be avoided). If you pitched enough yeast, leave it alone and keep it in a favorable temp range, the yeast will have no trouble munching through the sugars in the apple juice.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife (at least if you are fermentable) because the yeast will find you.

Just let them sit. As others have said you will oxidize the cider and it wont taste right if you stir it. I make a hard cider every fall and I always just let it sit for about 3 weeks, back sweeten, bottle, let it sit for 3-4 days then check the carbonation. If it's carb'ed I throw all of them in the fridge so they don't explode (if you don't pasteurize)

I make a hard cider every fall and I always just let it sit for about 3 weeks, back sweeten, bottle, let it sit for 3-4 days then check the carbonation. If it's carb'ed I throw all of them in the fridge so they don't explode (if you don't pasteurize)

You say about three weeks? How do I know when its done without a hydrometer? Here's my deal, I have airlocks on all three gallons. I'll have to see if things change, but yesterday, the one gallon that had been sitting a full day after pitching the yeast would bubble into the airlock about every three minutes. Now...a few days ago a few posts said I would know when it was done when the bubbles slowed down to 1 a minute....well...hopefully the bubbles pick up in frequency, because like I said, right now its only 1 every 3 minutes. So I'm curious as to how to tell when its done since there seems to be so much variation in how long it should sit. I also read a lot of places it usually only takes a week or so, then you can rack, but you say wait three week? Maybe it depends on the recipe and yeast?

You say about three weeks? How do I know when its done without a hydrometer? Here's my deal, I have airlocks on all three gallons. I'll have to see if things change, but yesterday, the one gallon that had been sitting a full day after pitching the yeast would bubble into the airlock about every three minutes. Now...a few days ago a few posts said I would know when it was done when the bubbles slowed down to 1 a minute....well...hopefully the bubbles pick up in frequency, because like I said, right now its only 1 every 3 minutes. So I'm curious as to how to tell when its done since there seems to be so much variation in how long it should sit. I also read a lot of places it usually only takes a week or so, then you can rack, but you say wait three week? Maybe it depends on the recipe and yeast?

Most of the actual fermentation is done within a week. We leave it for 2-4 weeks to let the yeast clean up after themselves. There's some byproducts that result from fermentation that yeast can clean up. The bubbles in the airlock don't really mean a whole lot. The head-space is under pressure due to the c02 the yeast create from fermentation so it can still bubble even though it's finished fermenting.
I don't take any gravity readings with my cider either. I just dump my juice and other ingredients in the carboy and pitch the yeast so I really don't have a clue of what my numbers are. By letting it sit for at least 3 weeks I can pretty much assume fermentation is done. If you're uneasy let it sit for 4 weeks and it will for sure be done.
Hope that helps!:mug:

bobeer, Helps a lot, thanks. As an aside, I guess it just took more than a day for them to really get going, but they all seem to be bubbling in to the airlock every 30 seconds or so, so they are all going pretty good I think!

Back