To sparge or not to sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
The recipe I am using to brew a "Maple Pumpking Ale" tomorrow calls for 2 pounds of two row and 1 pound of crystal this is not a partial mash recipe it is an extract grain. If I cook the grains in 1 gallon of water instead of 2 then sparge with another gallon will that benifit me in terms of fermentables or will I blow the recipe.

Three lbs in a gallon is ok for a mash. A bit thick, but ok. If possible, you should sparge with at least 1 1/2 gallons, two would be better.

Cool. My first brew used a sparge/steep bag to hold the grains and it was a steeping procedure. This is what the Maple Pumpkin Ale recipe is supposed to do also. So if I do use a sparge or steep bag and steep like the last time my question really is would sparging right through the bag matter? Or should I just hang up the "safety net" and put the grain right in and sparge through a strainer?

or, you could just steep them for flavor, and toss in a tiny bit more extract than the recipe calls for to get the fermentables your steep missed. the steep will get the flavors from the grains so you'll be good.

-walker

I don't know what I'm gonna do I'm tempted to mash and get as much fermentables as possible but I've never attempted and I don't want to blow my second batch of home brew. I'll sleep on it drink a beer and decide in the AM.

Back