To skim or not to skim? That is the question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzyfella

Reaction score
I was told by someone that I should 'skim' the yeast head off my wort in order to avoid the 'yeasty' taste (that I used to get with some kit beer). The guy who told me was an old boy who brewed his own, years ago. Is this advice still relevant with todays yeasts or do you leave the initial fementation alone and just leave any scum/head behind when you rack the beer off? Any advice is greatfully received by this novice.

Regards,
Fuzzy :confused

No need to skim. The yeasties will do their work and drop out of the wort.
The "head" called kraesen will sink into the beer and dissipate.

There probably won't be any come racking time.

That's one of those oldschool ideas that has pretty much gone out of style....it's like the old belief that you should be blowing krausen off vigorously through a blowoff tube. It comes from the older belief that yeast contact is a bad thing...

But many of us no longer subscribe to that idea...in fact we believe leaving the beer in contact with the yeast (in primary) for 3-4 weeks is a good thing...

You don't reallyneed to remove anything...just let the krauzen fall normally, it will scrub out your beer on the way down, and leave the beer alone for 3-4 weeks an allow the yeast to clean up after themselves....They do a great job if you just leave your beer alone.

But saying that....some people, especialy those who have been brewing for a long time swear by that technique...if you listen to the Australian podcast Craftbrewer radio, they swear by it...others do it to harvest the yeast at high krauzen...

But you will find skimmers a in the minority these days...

The easiest way to get rid of a "yeasty taste" in a kit beer or otherwise, is to have patience...letting the beer settle for 3-4 weeks, and then condition in the bottle allows the yeast to settle...most people who get that flavor, usually move their beer too soon, either to secondary or to bottling...

Back