To Secondary or Not Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I've been using a secondary fermenter since day 1 of brewing.

But -- have noticed some of you do not and get great results.

Just thinking I would like to try brewing a batch with just a 6 gallon carboy only instead of my normal primary fermenter and secondary 5 gallon carboy.

Any thought -- comments?

Thanks,

Rick

Seems more use only primary than those that use a secondary... I skipped the secondary on the batch I bottled last night so I will have some idea in a few weeks. I did notice that the beer didn't seem as clear. But it tasted good!

I'd say to give it a try then do what you feel is best.

That's what I was thinking.

Use gel to clear it -- just didn't know if it would be detrimental sitting on trub for that long.

Also -- do most use Irish Moss do help clarify?

If you are curious, then please try it. To make it a better experiment, split the same batch into two fermenters and secondary one of them.

I use a secondary, but not a secondary fermenter.

I tried a few time going directly from primary to keg and the results have not been so great.

I always go 3-4 weeks primary, secondary 3-7 days for clearing (cold crash) and then keg. I do it for cosmetic reason as well as taste because that level of sludge in the keg really destroys the flavor for about 1/2 gal or so. Beer is too precious.

I guess another idea is going keg to keg instead of using my "secondary".

I use Whirlfloc.

I use a secondary, but not a secondary fermenter.

I tried a few time going directly from primary to keg and the results have not been so great.

I always go 3-4 weeks primary, secondary 3-7 days for clearing (cold crash) and then keg. I do it for cosmetic reason as well as taste because that level of sludge in the keg really destroys the flavor for about 1/2 gal or so. Beer is too precious.

I guess another idea is going keg to keg instead of using my "secondary".

I use Whirlfloc.

Have you tried a few weeks primary, then cold crash, then rack to keg? I find the cold crash and careful siphon into keg makes the beer as clear as any secondary I've done.

Have you tried a few weeks primary, then cold crash, then rack to keg? I find the cold crash and careful siphon into keg makes the beer as clear as any secondary I've done.

That is exactly what I do, but I use a "second" glass carboy to cold crash.

Unless you cold crash in the primary? I've tried that but the BB carboy collapsed on me.

That is exactly what I do, but I use a "second" glass carboy to cold crash.

Unless you cold crash in the primary? I've tried that but the BB carboy collapsed on me.

I see. I did mean cold crashing the primary. The carboy created a vacuum when the temperature dropped and no air was able to get inside. I used an "S" shaped airlock for this. I also have a microfilter that could be used in this way (I intend to use it for no-chill brewing though).

But honestly, I think it's a very slight risk to let a little air into the fermenter. People do it all the time when racking and bottling. I'd try putting a piece of sanitized foil over the top of the BB so that it can breathe in.

Again, secondary is perfectly fine if you don't mind that extra step.

Back