To Sanitize or Not To Sanitize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to dry hop, and plan on putting my hops in a little grain/hop sock that you can get from the lhbs. Do I sanatize this thing? If so is it best to just let the sock to soak in a bucket of sanatizer for a few minutes...

If you're paranoid you could just spray/dip it in some Star-San. If it were me, I'd just go for it.

Yes, definitely sanitize it somehow, whether heat or chemical sanitizing. It's not worth the risk. That hop sock could have been a butt wipe in a previous life. This is how "is my beer infected?" threads get started.

(I never used a hop sock, but I'm going on the general recommendation that anything that touches beer get's sanitized... except hops themselves of course. Plus I'm pretty OCD when it comes to sanitizing.)

I'm getting ready to dry hop, and plan on putting my hops in a little grain/hop sock that you can get from the lhbs. Do I sanatize this thing? If so is it best to just let the sock to soak in a bucket of sanatizer for a few minutes...

Boil the hop bag in a little water for five minutes. Let it sit until you can handle it, put in the hops and drop it in the beer.

Latest posts

Back