To repitch or not to repitch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutalbrewing

Reaction score
My room mates and I have just started brewing and picked up a Midwest Supplies Boston Red Ale. the OG was meant to be in between 1.042 and 1.046, but we're new to this and only managed to get a 1.039 . It's been about 3 weeks since brew day, and since then the SG has steadily declined to a 1.020 (although it seams to have gone up to 1.022 which could be a misreading unless there's some way to explain this). Our instruction sheet says to ferment for two weeks only, but we were hoping that the SG would go farther down if we left it for a little bit longer. Now we're torn between bottling the beer and trying to repitch it to get the SG down a few more points. On one hand, if we repitch it, it may fix the problem and have our beer back on track (although we're trying our best not to experiment too much until we understand the basics of brewing). On the other hand, if we bottle now, I'm afraid that the beer will be too sweet, it will be below 4% alcohol by my calculations, and I've read that there is a risk of the beer over fermenting in the bottles and exploding.

I'd really appreciate some input on the matter so that we don't ruin our first real batch of beer.

Cheers
:mug:

Do you know what yeast was used?

Also, what temp has the beer been fermenting at?

I'm assuming it was an extract kit?

I do know extract beers seem to stall around 1.020 for some reason, I'm sure someone else could help you with an explanation as to why because I'm not really sure myself.

If the beer has been below say,65 degrees I would suggest moving it to somewhere warmer. That may rouse the yeast and let them finish up. This is about the only tip I have right now, I'm sure others here may have more insight.

No, the beer is not an extract it's a partial mash brew. The yeast type wasn't specified. The package and the option online were both "dry yeast", so I have no idea what to expect from it. I also have another package of dry yeast with which I could repitch, but I'm leaning towards buying nicer yeast so that I know I can count on it. I will hold off on bottling for the time being, because I don't want anything to explode. We're in southern california, so we've been having more trouble keeping it under 80 to prevent off flavors.

So it sounds like I should just let it sit for another week and see if anything happens. What should I do if it stays the same? it's already been pretty steady at 1.020 for around a week. also, any thoughts about the SG going up a couple of points? I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that

I would think a misreading is most likely the answer to the sg issue going up. Logic tells me it can't go up.

If its been the same for a week, I'd guess that yeast gave up. You say partial mash, but it did use extract right? I might look in to why extract brews stall out at 1.020. I do know its a fairly common problem, but I'm not the guy to tell you why or how to fix it.

Maybe google search that, it will probably bring you right back to this site with the answer already given.

Good luck, and sorry I wasn't much more help.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stuck-1-020-fg-277821/

I dug this up, hope it helps. Take note of Yooper's comment. She knows her stuff. I'd say read up for future batches, and maybe this one is done at 1.020.

It has been steadily at 1.020 for a while, but I'm still hesitant to bottle because both of the beers from that article were over 1.06 OG which is way higher than my 1.039. Logic tells me that either the sugars left in the container are unfermentable, or the yeast isn't doing its job. Thanks for digging around and finding that article for me. And yes, we used a hopped malt extract with about 3lb of grain as well.

The temperature is definitely not a problem, it's been a cold couple of days and it's been 73 consistently in our house.

Is there any harm in repitching anyways?
sorry to drag this on

Back