to repitch or not to repitch, that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ratdog

Reaction score
ok. so i did an extract brewers best whisky stout kit. in primary 3 weeks now. ready to rack 2 secondary and add whisky chips but.............. my G is 1.026!!!!!!! instructions say it shud be 16-19. tasted sample and i think it deffinately needs to lose a few points.

question....
with a sanitized spoon can i scoop sum yeast from the bottom of the primary, make a small starter and repitch it into the primary hoping it will drop me some points off my G?

the yeast was s-05. my only other option is i have a packet of nottingham. should i pitch that instead? or am i screwed?

A starter from the S-05 will give you more yeast cells than a pack of Nottingham.

You are far from screwed.Either one of your afforementioned yeast additions should get you the FG you are looking for.

It will rouse up the yeast a good amount. I have actually had a Krausen layer form in secondary on batches that did drop to final gravity. If it does not work then just pitch more in the secondary.

Back