To rack or not to rack....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all...I currently have an oatmeal stout churning away in the primary. Recently I have gotten away from racking to a secondary choosing to leave the beer in the primary for 10 -14 days and going straight to the bottles. I remember reading in "How to Brew" that a beer may benefit from conditioning on top of the yeast cake. So....is there any problem with letting this stout sit for an extra week in the primary or would I be better off racking and letting it condition there for another week or two?....Thoughts?
Thanks

ibbones

Reaction score
I have been leaving mine in the primary for about a month. Sometimes I will rack them to a secondary just for grins (OK, I really just needed the bucket) but they have been turning out a lot better since I started leaving them alone for a longer time.

OP
W

Wino24

Reaction score
Would you recommend leaving ALL beers in the primary for longer periods or just certain styles?

khiddy

Reaction score
Most. Not wheats, they are good young - I do 10 days start to serve with my Minute Wheat recipe.

mrtrav

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed with everyone here. If you like clear beer, sometimes it helps to rack into secondary to let it settle for a bit longer without yeast before you keg/bottle. Of course you could always siphon from above the cake, you always end up getting **** in your keg/bottles.

14thstreet

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same boat. I have an Oatmeal Stout and a malted cider that is already past 2 weeks in primary. I'll be out of town until the beer is 4 weeks old. The stout looks like it is done as the gravity has not changed in 3 days but the cider is slowly chewing off some points near the end. I've never primaried for 4 weeks but that's about as long as I want to do it before I bottle or keg these. The cider is already drinkable and I would have liked to have bottled it sooner to give out at Thanksgiving but it'll be a week behind now. Oh well!

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed with everyone here. If you like clear beer, sometimes it helps to rack into secondary to let it settle for a bit longer without yeast before you keg/bottle. Of course you could always siphon from above the cake, you always end up getting **** in your keg/bottles.
OR you can leave the beer in primary for a month, like many of us do...I had a beer called "Jewel like" by judges in a contest because of it. The yeast will compact quite tight in the month and you will have a lot less trub ending up in the bottling bucket and in the beers.