To rack or not to rack??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinoD

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal. batch of blueberry in the carboy. As per the recipe, I am to rack in 3 days (Saturday.......3 weeks after the addition of the final round of water & sugar). But it's still popping the airlock quite regularly and has not clarified much at all, yet. I was thinking of racking through a jelly bag to help with the larger sediments. But should I wait until the airlock quits?

What does the hydrometer say? Airlock activity does not indicate fermentation completeness or lack thereof.

Did you use fresh blueberries in the primary? If so, you may need to get the wine off the skins and pulp in order to keep it from picking up too much bitterness. Just a thought.

Salute! :mug:

Don't rack through a jelly bag! You don't want to oxidize the wine at this point.

I'd rack only if there were more than about 1/4 " of gross lees. Otherwise, I'd let it sit until there were some lees.

Haven't checked the hydrometer yet. Was going to do that Saturday if I racked.

It was fresh berries in the primary. But the recipe calls for the removal of the solids (the big chunks) in 10 days......which has been done long ago.

I really have no idea of how many lees I have. It's not clarified at all.

I guess I should leave it be until it clarifies enough that I can gauge the lees then go from there??

Haven't checked the hydrometer yet. Was going to do that Saturday if I racked.

It was fresh berries in the primary. But the recipe calls for the removal of the solids (the big chunks) in 10 days......which has been done long ago.

I really have no idea of how many lees I have. It's not clarified at all.

I guess I should leave it be until it clarifies enough that I can gauge the lees then go from there??

If you have lees, you should see them through the bottom of the carboy. They are different color from the wine- usually a mix of dead yeast, blueberry skins, etc. If you don't see gross lees, then I wouldn't rack.

I don't see any problem racking at this point. Your racking vessel has an airlock so it should continue to go. Just don't bottle before it clarifies, even if that means another month in the vessel!

Back