To powder coat brew stand or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach976

Reaction score
I've just recently finished my brew stand build (may weld in some vertical supports) and I'm debating on getting it powder coated or just painting it with high temp grill paint. I have guy that will powder coat it for less than a $100 but he is concerned with temperatures over 500, the powder coat will break down around the burner area. I know they make high heat powder and ceramic coatings but these are not in my budget. Anyone powder coat their stand? Is it holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395840438.953276.jpg

Here is a pic of the stand.

At less than $100, go for it! Paint doesn't last. At least the powder coating will stand up in areas where there isn't a lot of heat...

Thanks for starting this thread --- subbed

Getting ready to weld one up myself and it will be good to hear what others have done.

My thinking was that the powder coat would be a great idea since it is easy to clean and will fill a lot of little nooks and crannies. And, since the only place it will burn off is the areas right around the burners, why not? My Bayou Classic burner came with high temp paint and it was gone from the vanes around the burner after making the first batch of beer on it.

for the 100 dollars I would powder coat it, I do not believe you will have any problems with it holding up

I do think that the guy is just covering his a$$ :)

so if it does not you cannot say he did not tell you

all the best

S_M

Definitely powder coat it. The other option if you really care about it peeling off is high temp coating, but that is expensive for something that size.

I received the quote through a family members friend who does powder coating. The only problem is I have to drive an hour to drop it off. I called a local place and the guy quoted without seeing it, in the $150-$300 range. High temp was $300-$500 and ceramic was ridiculously high. I can't justify paying more to coat than I have in materials building the stand. I'm just worried that the powder coating will come off around the burners. Would look nicer than rattle can though

I use mausoleum high-temp flat black paint. It will take 2-3 cans to get a few coats ($15) and it works great. Every year (or two) I give it a touch-up which takes a can. Since it's flat black it looks really nice when touched up. I thought about powder coating, but I too was instantly turned off by the $200ish that it was going to cost. If you go that route let us know if it holds up. For me the rattle can method works great...I'm also a fan of being as cheap as I can, when able. Cheers!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

Haha... I meant RUSTOLEUM high-temp... dang autotext!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

I am in the process of designing my next brew stand and have had the same quandary. I was even contemplating a thread between stainless, powder coating and paint.

I have talked to two different powder coating places locally. One suggested an epoxy pre-coat. The other told me eventually it could rust under the coating. To minimize this I should galvanize it or something else I can't remember what it was called but both of them would add a rougher finish and more money to the cost.

I have been quoted between $150-300. At that point I am thinking why not go stainless, although I am not sure how much that would change my costs in the stand.

Cool stand Zach! We need to get together for another brew day soon. Got lots of good stuff on tap.

Cool stand Zach! We need to get together for another brew day soon. Got lots of good stuff on tap.

Thanks. I was going to text you the other day to see how the wheat beer was. I've been busy with work, kids and trying to build this stand. Definitely need to get together and brew again.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think I'm going to pick up some rust oleum 2000 degree high heat primer and paint. Then I can touch it up if it fades. I would hate to get it coated just to watch it flake away.

Thanks. I was going to text you the other day to see how the wheat beer was. I've been busy with work, kids and trying to build this stand. Definitely need to get together and brew again.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The wheat turned out great. Did 1/2 watermelon and the other strawberry. Both are excellent.

The powder coat WILL burn off in the high heat areas, and it WILL smell like hell!

Once that's done with, it's good stuff!

As an added: Most powder coating places won't stand behind the product going over any Galvanizing...........I used to work at a powder coating place part time, doing ceramic header coatings (re: "Jet Hot" type).

Have you tried the 2000f rustoleum primer and paint yet. I'm ready to paint mine and trying to decide.

I would go with the powder coating without hesitating. At less than 100 bucks it's a no brainer. I don' t know how you're going to mount your burners but I know I had to add a riser to provide additional air flow. Even though I drilled mounting holes to adjust the height. My initial burn test peeled back some of the powder coating closest to the contact point between the keggle and the frame.

Powder Coating in process:

Full View of Cart:

Shot depicting the Keggle risers:

I would like to build something like this one day. (Forgot where I pulled these from but I can't take credit.)

Plus 1 to Stealcruiser's comment about galvanized metal. The guys that did mine sanded down all the surfaces on my rig to strip off the very top layer of galvanization coating. At 2 years later it's still holding up well.

Back