To oxygenate or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SeaBass512

Reaction score
Well this is a first for me. I’ve been brewing for 7-8 years and worked part time as a brewer for a commercial brewery for 3 years....never had a bad batch.

I brewed a breakfast stout on Brew Year’s Day, OG 1.088. Hit all my numbers etc etc. It has coffee and chocolate additions.

Pitched the US-05 after rehydrating it but I’m thinking the water was too hot and I killed them off. I’ve had no airlock activity and no kreusen.

Tomorrow I will buy 2 more packs of 05, but my question is, should I oxygenate when I do, or just pitch and pray?

TIA

flars

Reaction score
Check the specific gravity before you do anything. The yeast may be in an extended growth phase and fermentation activity is beginning very slowly.

It is possible oxygenation may not do harm but I haven't worked with high gravity beers. Have read that a second oxygenation is sometimes done for high gravity beers but that is within 18 hours and an active fermentation has begun.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am with flars I would check gravity first before doing anything. I too have heard about people doing a second round of oxygen but have never did myself. I think you could do it without harm.

I recall seeing someone say something that US-05 and some other yeasts can be used without oxygenating or have a very low oxygen requirement, I have always just done a good stirred on my beer that used US-05 so I sort of think that maybe a true statement. If you dont oxygenate I would rehydrate your yeast to make sure it is good to go.

OP
SeaBass512

SeaBass512

Reaction score
Flars, you were right, it must have been an extended growth stage, as it is now happily chugging away.

Whew!!