To much damn wind!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova5

Reaction score
3 flameouts before I even got the 5gallons of water to steeping temp! Go away you damn wind from the hurricane hanging of the eastern seaboard! And I'm on the western border of SC! Gotta abort for today..

If you happen to have the supplies laying around... Then you can make a wind blocker with some plywood or whatever, something heavier than cardboard so the wind doesn't knock it over. I have seen pics and video of others doing that.

Nothing of sufficient weight. Its direction is cutting straight across the back of my house so i've got zero protection.. I might wait for it to cool and move into the garage. with this wind it'll keep any CO2 build up to damn near nothing.

Plus once I got it heated up to about 120 the weldless valve started leaking.. again. I had thought it solved when replacing the teflon a second time with 6-7 wraps. no leaks overnight. So I still have to fix that before I can brew a batch properly.

That sucks... Don't feel bad I burned a bit of two row today trying to toast malt for the first time.

Heh. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse for wind But I'll move to the garage I think. On top of all of it... I got into some bourbon.. brewing intoxicated is NOT a good idea when using fire.

I always brew in the garage because of wind ...just make sure you keep the door open..I also have carbon monoxide detector and fire extinguisher handy in the garage too

This.

I use a KAB6 and I used to just not brew if the wind was over 10mph. Now with a few layers of heavy duty foil wrapped around the gap between the burner and the bottom of the kettle I can use the burner even in moderate wind. I'm also going through a lot less propane. A lot less.

This.

I use a KAB6 and I used to just not brew if the wind was over 10mph. Now with a few layers of heavy duty foil wrapped around the gap between the burner and the bottom of the kettle I can use the burner even in moderate wind. I'm also going through a lot less propane. A lot less.

This is a good idea; and a whole lot simpler than making a big wind break of some kind. Hadn't occurred to me. Thanks guys.

Back