To much Crystal???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beertk

Reaction score
I brewed a english brown ale from the BYO mag yesterday. Now I am second guessing it.

The recipe was

7.75# Pale malt
2# Crystal 75
1/4# english chocolate

mashed @154-156

I used
.66 Fuggles @ FWA
.66 Fuggles @ 30
.25 Fuggles @ 12

Oxygenated and Pitched US 05

Question is did I screw up in reading then brewing this recipe. Will 2# of Crystal be cloying for a five gallon batch?

Not that it matters now. It is fermenting away :)

That's a lot of crystal! The biggest porter I make only uses 1.5 lbs. When it's done fermenting, if it's too sweet, steep a couple ounces of black patent or roasted barley in a cup of water & use that to balance the flavor.

On the other hand, Dorryman Dark (Pelican), is WAY over on the sweet side & it's fantastic.

Depends on your tastes.
It probably won't be a session beer you can pound down a 6-pack in a sitting but it will probably be a very enjoyable beer.
I often have 1-1.5# in my beers with a mix between light and dark crystals.

Craig

That'll definately be a sipping, desset-type beer. Probably be real nice with a nice cheesecake. You probably could have mashed a bit lower to dry it out a little bit, but what's done is done. It should be good, but I wouldn't count on this being a beer you'd want to pound, you know?

Thanks. I have been know to make dry beers... too dry. I use a bunch of Nattingham :) I wanted to try something completly different. That...I think, I may have acheived.

Back