Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeutschMann96

Reaction score
I brewed 5 gallons of Kölsch, and filled them into the five 1 gallon carboys I had on hand. The last one I only managed to fill halfway so I topped off with RO water figuring it would all even out when I kegged (the original gravity was on the high side) I tasted the one I topped off, and it seems to taste good, just watered down quite a bit while the others are on the strong side. Should I mix them at the end or not even risk it?

Didn't you say here that the thinned down one had bad vegetable off flavors and aromas? What happened to that, did those disappear?

As said before, if that one still tastes or smells bad, do not add it to the keg, it may ruin the whole batch.

Didn't you say here that the thinned down one had bad vegetable off flavors and aromas? What happened to that, did those disappear?

As said before, if that one still tastes or smells bad, do not add it to the keg, it may ruin the whole batch.

It did, but I tasted it this time and there was no trace of those flavors. It just tasted like watered down kolsch.

It did, but I tasted it this time and there was no trace of those flavors. It just tasted like watered down kolsch.
OK, if it tastes good, why not? Wonder what caused the original alarm. Patience or RDWHAHB should have applied, maybe?

Are you going to rack from those small fermentors into a keg?
I recommend using a 100% Starsan pre-purged keg (look it up) and filling the keg through the liquid out post (look it up), with the PRV open to vent. That way there will be minimal exposure to air reducing the risks of oxidation.

Once you prime your racking cane with a QD on the bottom end of the hose, you can move from one fermentor to the next by simply pulling the QD off the keg between vessels. The transfer cane and hose will remain primed that way.

:rock:

OK, if it tastes good, why not? Wonder what caused the original alarm. Patience or RDWHAHB should have applied, maybe?

Are you going to rack from those small fermentors into a keg?
I recommend using a 100% Starsan pre-purged keg (look it up) and filling the keg through the liquid out post (look it up), with the PRV open to vent. That way there will be minimal exposure to air reducing the risks of oxidation.

Once you prime your racking cane with a QD on the bottom end of the hose, you can move from one fermentor to the next by simply pulling the QD off the keg between vessels. The transfer cane and hose will remain primed that way.

:rock:
Best advice I’ve read on here. Thanks man you rock!

Latest posts

Back