To mead or not to mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edbert

Reaction score
I am pre-newb when it comes to making mead, been doing homebrew for 8+ years though.

I need to buy another recipie and was thinking i should try something different than just one I've never made before, like maybe try making mead. My taste in beer is high ABV belgian ales with (relatively) low hoppieness.

I buy all my stuff at a local store (Austin homebrew supply) and they have a good selection of recipies which is good for me since even with beer I'm not one to experiment much other than pump up the alcohol content a bit. I know almost nothing about mead though and I need tobe talked into or out of making some. My equipment is for a 5 gallon batch of beer so l just assumed i'd make that amount of mead but don't want something I do not want to drink either. I hate dry wine, so I'm thinking of steering clear of the dry meads, I guess the term is roughly analogous. I sort of like sweet wines, including sake, which leads me back to mead.

So should I try one? Since I am asking that in a mead forum I'll guess the answer is yes. So pick one listed as sweet? What about a fruity one, peach or apple sound interesting? What about floral, I see a habiscus one? Go with straight honey on the first batch? Plan for final ABV of 15% or so?

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! I've tried some amazing meads, and just did the 1 gallon Dry Mead from AHS. It's clearing and aging right now, but I can't wait until it's done!!

Dry mead is nothing like dry wine. There is still a lot of residual sweetness, and you don't get any harshness from tannins like you do with wine. Also, go to www.gotmead.com and do some reading. That has helped me out a ton. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!

Joe's sound like a great way to start...cheap and low quantity in case it goes wrong or I don't like it. But i don't want to wait months either.

AHS sells a 1-gallon equipment kit so that my beer gear isn't tied up so long.

Hmmm decisions decisions!

Maybe i can start a 1-gallon mead batch and a 5-gallon ale together.

Joe's sound like a great way to start...cheap and low quantity in case it goes wrong or I don't like it. But i don't want to wait months either.

AHS sells a 1-gallon equipment kit so that my beer gear isn't tied up so long.

Hmmm decisions decisions!

Maybe i can start a 1-gallon mead batch and a 5-gallon ale together.

All you need to do a one gallon batch is a 1 gallon jug. You probably already have a bung that will fit into the top, and you probably already have air locks since you've been brewing for so long.

A mini racking cane is nice, but not necessary. Of course, for $30, you really can't go wrong with that AHS kit!!

I hate JAOM!!!!!
I think it tastes like plastic.
It gets 'fed' to the newcomers because it's so easy. But I believe it's easier to make a nice melomel (fruit mead), and I definately think it tastes better.

Mead is easier than beer... Mead with beer yeast is nice... I won a competition with a banana mead using a saisson yeast.

If you want 15%ABV you will have to let it age. But you can make a nice 8% mead that will be drinkable in a few months. It will get better with age, but will be real nice at 4-6 months.

(Not taking into account infections) - I've had bad beer, but the only bad meads I've had ended up quite nice with more time.

JAOM is one way to start, but based on your tastes for Belgian beer, probably not going to impress you very much. I would suggest you try Bray's One Month Mead (the BOMM). I've posted the full recipe here on the forums for 1 or 5 gallon batches.

JAOM also takes longer to be delicious. It runs around 12% ABV and is delicious in a month as opposed to a year. If you can filter, BOMM is ready at 20 days!

I would suggest that you dont make any mead. You sound like you are going to halfass it and make a bag batch and then run around telling people mead doesnt taste good. But, if you got a little more serious about it, you already have all the skills, its easier than making beer in some regards, like its not going to spoil so easy, a little patience pays off, get used to committing a carboy for longer terms than you do for beer, this gives you an excuse to buy more carboys. WVMJ

this gives you an excuse to buy more carboys. WVMJ
Hahahahaha, Funny you say that, I have now built up a little forest of one gallon jugs in different stages of fermentation and aging.

I meant real carboys, 3 gallon ones, or 5 or 6 or even 7 gallon ones. I tried to get a 15 but wifey said it had to go where my lazyboy sets, then I could have really sat on the floor to watch it but hard to watch the telly from down there. WVMJ

With my space limitations I also have to think about where do I put the bottles later. Currently I have 2x23L and a 26.5L carboys and about half a dozen 1gal. jugs and 2 2.86L jugs with a few empties for more. I have a 700Sq.ft. flat. I started in June! It'll look like "Hoarders" in here once I get the current stuff in bottles and new batches started.

Just wanted to update...the "BOMM" is excellent!

I'd been tasting the drips off the bottom of a hydrometer before it was finished and backsweetened and frankly was not very happy with the flavor. I cannot say if it came out right or not since I've never even tasted mead before I made some. Right out of the bottle it is a little tart (dry?) for my tatstes but by adding some honey it is DELICOUS.

I highly recommend this recipie for ease-of-use and speed-to-drink purposes alone. If a raw noob like me can do it anyone can. Just don't shake the fermenter! lol

I am glad to hear you enjoy it. Dry mead takes some getting used to. I personally enjoy it dry, but most people have some difficulty getting past a honey beverage that isn't sweet. Drink it the way you like it!

Back