To late to add a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantNH

Reaction score
So even though this little voice in the back of my head told me I should do a starter. I pitched a wyeast smack pack into a 1.066 ale two days ago. Fermentation has started seems to be going well. But now paranoia is setting in.

Is there anything wrong with heading to the LHBS today and picking up another packet and pitching a starter in a day or so when it is ready?

Will the under pitching have a risked anything as far as flavor goes? Or will tossing the starter on just allow it to attenuate down as opposed to getting a stuck fermentation?

The brew is the Dead Guy Clone if it adds anything.

Thanks

Haha, I am not so much worried that the batch is ruined. Just wanting to avoid a stuck fermentation or off flavors. If the advise is to leave it alone then I am cool with that. I hear so much about making starters. I would have to think that they are fairly important for a slightly larger beer such as I have made.

I don't think it will do any good. Yeast multiply very quickly, so by the time your starter is ready, you will have way more yeast in your fermenter then in your starter. I say don't do it. While it wont help, your introducing another variable where you could make a mistake or introduce a contaminate into your beer.

As far as flavors go, I have never made a starter, and my beers have been fine.

Latest posts

Back