To keg or not to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TotemWolf

Reaction score
We are planning to move later this year and I will finally be able to set up the keg system I want. I was just going over some of my up coming brews and was thinking about kegging and such. I was looking at an Old Ale repice of mine called Firesider. About 2 or 3 times a year I do a strong brew like that or holiday ale or such. I like to bottle these and keep them for months, maybe even a year or two, drinking them slowly over time.

This brought a question to mind. For those of you who keg, do you still bottle certain beers, or do you keg everything?

We still bottle most of our heavy beers that require/desire aging. That way you can throw them in the basement and sample one every so often. Otherwise we keg all of our 'regular' beers (i.e. less than 6-7%).

When I went to kegs, I got a beer gun at the same time. LOVE my beer gun. If I want to age a beer, or just clear up a corny to use for something else, I will bottle using the beer gun. As a bonus, my bottles now have perfect carbonation with no sediment.

Keg everything and bottle what I wish using a DIY counter pressure filler. Little to no dregs in bottles that way.

Keg everything, carbonate, then bottle with beergun for aging, comps, or when I need to free up a keg.

When I went to kegs, I got a beer gun at the same time. LOVE my beer gun. If I want to age a beer, or just clear up a corny to use for something else, I will bottle using the beer gun. As a bonus, my bottles now have perfect carbonation with no sediment.

A beer gun is already on the list for my keg setup. I swap beer with brewing buddies and have some friends that I give an assorted 6 pack sometimes. I'll make use of the gun that for sure.

I keep what my friends call the 'Beer Cave.' It's where I ferment and condition my ales. It's also where I store all my beer. I brew once week so I'll a half dozen or so different styles on hand at any time. I'm planning a 6 tap bar top setup, but I'll need my 'cellar' for fermenting and for storing my wine and mead.

Yup, I do about the same as most people mentioned, keg everything to start and then bottle some of the heavier stuff I want to age for a while. For instance, I tapped a RIS about 6 months ago that had already aged in the keg for 6 months. However, its tough to get through 5 gal of 9% RIS even if its really tasty, so I'll keg a gallon or two so I can see how it ages while I drink the rest!

If you want to do it on the cheap, do a search for the BierMuncher Bottle Filler (BMBF). Basically you use a picnic tap (probably comes with your first setup), a racking cane, and a stopper to counter-pressure fill bottles from a keg after force-carbing.

Same situation. Kegging most, bottling only a few (sometimes even splitting the batch)and bottling from the keg when getting low or giving to others.

Doesn't the sediment in the bottle contribute to the aging? I always figure it did.

I'm very happy going to kegs too. I also use a DIY bottle filler when I need to and bottle stouts and some misc brews.

A beer gun is already on the list for my keg setup. I swap beer with brewing buddies and have some friends that I give an assorted 6 pack sometimes. I'll make use of the gun that for sure.

I keep what my friends call the 'Beer Cave.' It's where I ferment and condition my ales. It's also where I store all my beer. I brew once week so I'll a half dozen or so different styles on hand at any time. I'm planning a 6 tap bar top setup, but I'll need my 'cellar' for fermenting and for storing my wine and mead.

You need to search for Biermunchers Counter Pressure Bottle Filler. It works just as well as the beer gun and will probably cost you all of 2 dollars, less if you already have all the parts (racking cane, #2 rubber stopper, and picnic tap setup). Far easier to setup. Filling takes some practice but once you get used to it, its kinda fun. And less to clean up. Spend the money on a sign for your Beer Cave, that sounds pretty sweet.

You need to search for Biermunchers Counter Pressure Bottle Filler. It works just as well as the beer gun and will probably cost you all of 2 dollars, less if you already have all the parts (racking cane, #2 rubber stopper, and picnic tap setup). Far easier to setup. Filling takes some practice but once you get used to it, its kinda fun. And less to clean up. Spend the money on a sign for your Beer Cave, that sounds pretty sweet.

I saw that thread. That's what I have planned for a "beer gun."

Back