To heat or not to heat cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerClaw

Reaction score
After my first batch of cider had preservatives in it I decided to source some better cider. I managed to find some beautiful unpasteurized cider with no preservatives added. It's dark brown, no sediment in it and it has an amazing fresh sweet apple smell. My question is should I just ferment this stuff straight up or should I heat it on the stove first. If heating should be done what is the best temp/time to do it for. I have heard to barely simmer for 45minutes, seems almost like sacrilege to me.

Most people use campden.

You are asking if you should pasturize it eh?

Id use campden myself.

If you're scared of aroma loss, you can warm it with a lid on top (what I do with my mead must). I've never used campden or k-meta in my must. Some people I know have just pressed the apples and pitched without any off flavours or funk developing (although I'm not sure how well it would store).

I don't use campden or heat cider. Lalvin Montpellier Wine Yeast #K1V-1116 is the way to go. K1, as in wild yeast killer.

I always used EC-1118. Also a killer, I believe, so that might explain why I've had luck with fermenting raw juice.

Whether I pasteurize or not depends on how long between pressing and pitching. If I had to let it sit for a day, even refrigerated, I trust it a lot less. To me the idea is to give a good, tough yeast a jumpstart on the wild stuff before it has a chance to really start multiplying.

If I get a foul batch, I'll change my program, but cider seems to be quite forgiving.

Thanks for all the reply's. I ended up using it right out of the jugs, no heating or campden. I used a coopers brewing yeast I had on hand as well but will definitely look for the EC-1118 or the like next time. So far it is bubbling nicely and the airlock smells delicious. Can't wait to taste.

I was just going to say, never used heat or campden tablets if I'm using a store bought AJ or cider I just pour it into the fermenter, pitch the yeast and have never had a problem with it.

Latest posts

Back