To foam or not to foam...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwhitt

Reaction score
I have been homebrewing for about 3 months now and I just had a small question. Right before i pitch my yeast the liquid in my fermenter seems to have a lot of foam in it. I never really thought much of it before but does this have any adverse affect on thefinished product?

Foam is a good thing. It is a good sign that your beer is properly aerated, oxygen before the yeast is pitched is a good thing. The yeast need oxygen in order to reproduce and be healthy.

When I pitch my yeast I usually have a good 2-3 inches of foam on my wort.

thanks for the advice? would it affect it if I just scooped it off and then pitched the yeast? or should I leave it on there? lol...probably a little OCD about it. I make ice tea all the time and I do the same thing with it if there's foam. lol

I would just leave it. No use in scooping it off and possibly introducing any contaminants to the beer. It will fall back into solution. I am bit OCD about things as well, but I am more worried about an infection than foam.

Back