To dump or not to dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenskristinn

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first post here but definately not the last, so thanks in advance for your advice.

Tried my first brew the other night, BIAB with some APA grain kit. We were using borrowed equipment, plastic barrel with an element. The digital thermometer was causing troubles, probably steam got into it. In the end I guess we mashed at 80 C instead of 67 C as that was the reading we got from a diffrent thermometer we used in the end. We finished the process anyhow and it is in fermentation now.

Is there any chance that a beer will come out of this? Is it a waste of time to bottle it?

We already have a new grain kit and thermometer and will brew again very soon. We have enough of fermentation buckets.

Rgs.
Jens

Is it fermenting? If so, then you probably didn't denature the enzymes and it should be fine. (Maybe a little different than you planned, but it'll still be beer. )

Let it ferment and then taste it....even if its not perfect it's probably still worth a try bottling. I've made a few beers I didn't like at first, but after bottle conditioning a few months they improved. I'm pretty cheap, but now and then I do give up and dump it out, but you are pretty early in the process to consider doing that.

Unless you absolutely need the fermenter for something else, you have nothing to lose by letting it ferment and seeing what you have. You might have a really tasty beer.

Even if it is totally screwed, well, I like to say I learn a lot more from my mistakes than I do from my successes. Just wait it out and see what you've got.

If you really did mash at 80C (176F), it's probably toast. However, since you're really not sure, it can't hurt to let it ferment for 3 weeks. At that point, check the gravity and see where you are. If it's still above 1020, you could add some amylase enzymes and see what happens. If you can finish at 1020 (maybe even 1025) or lower, bottle it and see how it is. One word of caution. If you do bottle at a higher FG, be sure to isolate the bottles to protect against possible bottle bombs.

Hi everyone,

My first post here but definately not the last, so thanks in advance for your advice.

Tried my first brew the other night, BIAB with some APA grain kit. We were using borrowed equipment, plastic barrel with an element. The digital thermometer was causing troubles, probably steam got into it. In the end I guess we mashed at 80 C instead of 67 C as that was the reading we got from a diffrent thermometer we used in the end. We finished the process anyhow and it is in fermentation now.

Is there any chance that a beer will come out of this? Is it a waste of time to bottle it?

We already have a new grain kit and thermometer and will brew again very soon. We have enough of fermentation buckets.

Rgs.
Jens

did exactly the same thing with my second batch due to digital thermometer malfunction.
It is drinkable after fermentation and bottle conditioning, yet I prefer to rinse my hair with it, rather than drink it.
maybe if I did not have 15Liter of very drinkable beer from my test run and another 40 Liters in the fermenter, I would be inclined to drink it. But there is no reason at this point and beer is very good for your hair :)

I made a wheat ale and added a can of cherries from the lhbs in the secondary. Just tapped the keg and it has a sour flavor. Should I dump it or take it out of the keezer and let sit in a dark corner for a couple of weeks? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I made a wheat ale and added a can of cherries from the lhbs in the secondary. Just tapped the keg and it has a sour flavor. Should I dump it or take it out of the keezer and let sit in a dark corner for a couple of weeks? Any suggestions would be helpful.

There's a very long thread in the Beginner Brewer section by an oldtimer named Revvy(alas I miss his posts) titled "Never dump your Beer"
'www. homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254'
Take a look at it. If you have the time, read through the whole thing.
Moral= Give it time padawan. If you still want to dump it after 6 months or so, at least you gave it time to change into the best beer it can possibly be.

Last edited:
Back